Thursday, August 23, 2007

"English" & British slang titles

After seeing a great list of Australian slang titles and some wonderful Scots ones (how lucky the Scots are to have English AND lots of wonderful dialect words to use), I thought I'd start compiling a list of uniquely English words and phrases for titles. We have too much US influence (down with cupcakes!)

Plodging (NE slang for paddling)
Time for tea
Two for tea
Nosh
Lubbly Jubbly!
London Calling!
Bonkers
Giddy up!
You’re A star (A* grade)
Pearly princess
Top Gear
Exterminate!
X-Factor
Yorkshire Pudding
We’re all going on a Summer Holiday!
Specs appeal
Ground Force
Telly Addict
Anyone for a beer?
One for the road
Angel of the North
Wotcha!
Gotcha!
Alright Petal!
Wet wet wet ... (after the summer we've had!)

If you've done or can think of any uniquely English titles, please let me know in the comments?

2 comments:

Helen said...

I like the Dorset term "grockles" and Devon "emmets" for holiday makers visiting the area. I think I need to do a grockle layout....

Clare said...

I've been a grockle!
Lovely word.
I think I'll do a layout about what we used to call my youngest brother and sister... watch this space!