Thursday, January 4, 2007

When to do journalling?

Someone on UKScrappers today asked this question... (Note: link will only work if you are a member of UKS) Some very interesting answers have been contributed.

For me it depends on the inspiration - sometimes the journalling comes first and is the most important part - especially where I'm creating a layout FROM a journal entry I've made in the past - whether a holiday journal or my day to day one on the computer. I guess in future a blog entry may be the inspiration and the journalling!

Sometimes the journalling comes later - I did one for a cybercrop on Lessons from Mum and spent months trying to think of the appropriate things to write on the six tags - then I had a conversation with my sister and came up with loads of quotes (used both sides of the tags!) and now the LO is complete. (NOTE to self add pic of completed LO when get home tonight)

But whichever way round it is for me, I always leave a space somewhere on the LO to tuck in some extra journalling - you never know what you might remember in the future when you're browsing that LO in your album. e.g., a punning title ("dinky boots" I saw recently - could be a pun on the film title "kinky boots") might mean nothing to you later on when you forget the reference, so journal why you chose that title before you forget it!

There are other bits and pieces that may need adding at a later date - e.g., descriptions of people or places in the photo that seemed obvious at the time. Or why the LO was created - for a cybercrop or a challenge for example - or what products and stash were used?

1 comment:

Deborah Duck said...

I find that when I'm showing someone my layouts, if I have to explain anything about the photo, then I obviously haven't journalled it properly! I've also noticed especially on my older layouts I haven't put anything on them at all, even who, what, when and where. When I only had one year's worth of layouts it wasn't really a problem, but now I'm getting into the fourth year, it most definitely is, so all my layouts now have at least just the basics on them.