Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Using up paper scraps: #1

I was having a bit of a sort out, seeing what I had in my paper stash, and I realised that I had a lot of scraps. I LOVE patterned papers, but the scrapbooking style I prefer at the moment is the pared-down lots-of-white-space style. And that doesn't use up a lot of paper! Yet I find it difficult to throw anything away - let's face it, I might find a use for that pretty paper even if it is only 3 inches square. After all, I make cards as well. And a cardmaker can find a use for any paper pieces that are just bigger than my smallest punch... Especially if I make small paper dolls with a selection of tiny clothes...

I have scraps left over from kits and classes from up to three years ago, scraps from paper ranges that I loved, and ranges that I didn't. I even pick up scraps from other people at crops - how could they throw away nearly half a sheet of 12 x 12? So I've been looking in earnest at ways to use up paper scraps.

Here are some that I've found recently:
  • Cut out letters for titles - either using a cutting machine, or by using repositionable glue to stick them to computer paper, run them through your printer to print an outline letter on the back and cut out.


  • Make paper beads: Cut strips of paper and roll them tightly around a knitting needle or similar. Stick down the ends. Leave to dry, then carefully slide off the knitting needle. Make the beads more substantial by coating the beads with a layer of PVA glue or diamond accents or similar. Stick on a LO or thread them for jewellery!
  • Create a 'quilt' page: cut 4 or 5 photos into 3" squares and make up to 9 squares with patterned paper cut into squares the same size.
  • Create serendipity squares with scraps of paper and use the squares on a LO.

  • Use the scraps to create a mat for your photograph, as in Karen's Conga class from the UKS birthday cybercrop (unfortunately not currently available, but here is my version)

  • Use strips of papers behind a photo as a stripy mat


  • Radiate strips of papers like a sun from a central pic
  • Create pockets
  • Punch, especially squares and circles and create a pattern on cardstock as a background to the LO
  • Cover chipboard shapes
  • Cut flowers out of papers and use as embellishments
I'm working on a few more ideas and will upload them in a later post :)

No comments: