Wednesday, November 7, 2007

Write it on Wednesday: Journalling babies


No, that doesn't mean get the babies to do the journalling!

Even if you haven't had babies of your own, you will have had babies in your family, and with luck you'll even have some pictures of yourself when an infant. Babies are very photogenic and photos generally make satisfying pages that everyone enjoys looking at.

So: how to scrap babies?

The cute things they say and do

If you have a baby or young child now - I know it's difficult when you're so busy - but for heaven's sake write down those cute things they say or the funny things they do. You WILL forget them later! I wish I'd been a scrapbooker when my babies were young. Luckily I was keeping a journal, so putting the text together with the photos isn't too hard.

And she toddled for two miles along the beach before we found her...

And write down too those apocryphal stories that you have been told all your life about things you did. There's a story about me when I was about two - the family had got lost on a trip out to the contry and we stopped the car to get out and see where we were. Apparently I got fed up and said "I'll find the way" and set off along the road determinedly, all by myself. They were laughing too much to stop me at first, and then they helpfully got the camera out.

Baby books

If you have a friend or relative about to give birth, a baby book is a lovely gift - not one of those that records weight and height and so on, although that might be part of it, but a themed scrapbook readymade for the mother to slot in the pics and the journalling as she goes along. A big space for hidden journalling may be best, so mum can write as much or as little as she chooses, but doesn't run out of space.

Possible themes for baby books:
  • My first year: 12 pages, a pic for each month and plenty of journalling space (a great theme to remind mum)
  • Nursery rhyme theme
  • Animals theme
  • Alphabet theme
  • Colours theme: every page a different colour
  • Definitions theme: baby, love, cute, motherhood, family, growing up etc.
  • Play theme: teddies, bricks, dolls etc.
You could even make a book for the baby itself, with spaces for pictures and names of all the relatives - especially welcome if family are far away and the little one won't see relatives often enough to recognise them otherwise.

More Write it on Wednesday

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

More ideas from Kim:
- Day you were born
- Taking home
- Hand & footprints
- Brothers - using the "He isn't heavy, he's my brother" quote
- First bath
and
- All smiles

Anonymous said...

A brilliant example on UKS from gwyneth 123 (need to be a member to view it)
http://www.ukscrappers.co.uk/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=142139&cat=500&ppuser=14645

Also some more ideas thanks to JulieSE

Still waiting.
Big news
I've arrived
What was happening in the world
My family tree
My parents
My Grandparents
My extended family
My A, B, C's (a to z with space for small photo's of babies favourite things begining with letter)
Water babe
Sleepy moon
What's cooking
My best friend (they had animals)
My pals
Growing so fast
Feeling blue (sickness/shots etc)
Summer time
First Christmas
Christening - I actually left it without a title so they could choose.
First birthday
Last page was a month by month photo summary.