Monday, April 21, 2008

Lightening photos that are too dark

I have just found out a really useful tip for using Photoshop to tidy up photographs.

I have been fiddling with Image > Adjust > Brightness/Contrast to try to lighten dark photos, without much success, but now I've read in an online article (I wish I could remember which!) that Image > Adjust > Levels is the tool to use to lighten up pictures. It's revolutionised my scrapping because now I can use all those photos that are a bit too dark.

Try it, open a dark photo in Photoshop (I have a very old Photoshop version - 5 and it works in that as well as later versions) and use Image > Adjust > Levels

Move the central slider to the left to lighten the picture instantly, and experiment with the other sliders.
Alternatively try Auto Levels and see if there's an improvement.

1 comment:

Nics said...

How odd.. i've just found this 'trick ' in PSE5 too... I've been using Auto Adjust Levels I think and like you say salvaging some pics i thought never scrappable!! Also been faffing about with cropping to a set ratio ( Yep i know simple stuff).. but these 2 actions have given me some serious scrapping fodder from what I deemed 'pants pics!'