Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Write it on Wednesday: The unexpected


"Our brightest blazes of gladness are commonly kindled by unexpected sparks." - Samuel Johnson

The unexpected - it happens all the time - whether it's an unexpected compliment from one's loved one or an amusing comment from a child. Or it could be an unexpetced juxtaposition of two objects that make for a funny result - and makes you want to get your camera out.

Of course, the unexpected can often be sad, tragic or depressing. And sometimes you don't really feel like writing about or scrapping those kinds of things. Yet they are often some of the most meaningful times of our lives.

So let's have one of each. Today, write about one unexpected good thing, and one unexpected bad thing. Just give yourself ten minutes and a blank piece of paper and start:

"I didn't expect..."

Worry about the photograph later - this exercise is about the journalling!

Here's mine

"I didn't expect to be working in a city 70 miles from home - I left my last job because I couldn't cope with the commute - it was 30 miles away. And now I have chosen this! Luckily it IS all my choice, and I only do it once a week and not every day. It is on my terms, and that makes all the difference. So sitting in a traffic jam on the motorway at 7.15 am is unexpected but I can cope - I hope!"



More Write it on Wednesday

1 comment:

Nickibee said...

Sorry Clare but I have tagged you

Here are the rules which you must abide by if you are tagged.
1. Link to your tagger and post these rules.
2. Share 7 facts about yourself: some random, some weird.
3. Tag 7 people at the end of your post and list their names (linking to them).
4. Let them know they've been tagged by leaving a comment at their blogs