Saturday, February 17, 2007

A mother's thoughts

Reading the news about the 15 year old boys being shot in their homes in "gang warfare" in South London made me sad for their mothers. I too have a 15-year-old son.

And it got me thinking about all the terrible things that have punctuated his life. Things that are etched into my memory because the victims were just his age...

So today's journalling prompt is to think of your hopes and fears for your child/children/loved ones, whatever their age.

Mine turned into a prayer.

How can I protect you?

When I was pregnant with you a pregnant woman was murdered in a layby on the motorway.

When you were two, another two-year-old called Jamie Bulger was taken away by two 10-year-olds.

When you were in infant class, a man started shooting in an infant class in Dunblane.

Now you are fifteen there are boys your age being shot dead in South London.

Please God help their poor mothers.
Thank you for looking after my boy
and please keep him safe from evil and harm.


6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Claire i think this is a lovley LO and shows what worries lots of mothers etc with whats going on in the world today

Anonymous said...

a wonderful LO

Fiona said...

A very moving LO. It's true that whenever I hear tragic news about children the same age as my own, it hits me much harder than 'other' bad news. The instinct to protect our offspring is so strong. Thankyou for sharing.

Unknown said...

Believe me I know just how you are feeling- I have a 15 year old son too and I am all too aware that these boys are approaching the riskiest period of their lives- we can't protect them, as much as we want to. The events you mentioned have impacted on us all I had just given birth to my daughter when Jamie Bulger was murdered, and the two events will always be linked in my mind. I also remember the day of Dunblane- I was teaching that day, and I remember the feeling I had when I next had to take my class into the gym- looking around and seeing how there is nowhere to hide.

Anonymous said...

It's a lovely LO...thank you for sharing!
Bernie X

Jak said...

fab layout clare and such heartfelt journalling.

Will be thinking of you all on Wednesday. hugs n stuff, x